Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Last Day, First Day, and Magic Time


The longest day of the year is typically around June 21st, the summer solstice. I distinctly remember this day last year. It was when I noticed the beauty of a phenomenon my mother and her friends call 'magic time.' It's that time of day when dusk is just beginning to say goodbye to you and hello to the night.

Everything, more specifically organic, takes on a temporary bio-luminescent glow. Even your skin, which you think you are familiar with, takes on an eerie glow. I'm pretty sure the event has to do with the spectrum of light and your pupils dilating. And even if it can be explained, that still won't take away from the wonder it arouses in me.

I was in my parents friends' garden that is a stunning ornamental sight on it's own, but with the magic time element, the view is simply irreplaceable. At that moment time stood still. My life was all there in front of me in the reflection of the last few ultraviolet rays radiating from the sun to flower, and through me.

Staring there I realized the cycle of it all. This was the pivotal moment when the day gives way to night. Summer gives way to the fall, and life gives way to death.

Every moment from now on will just be a count down to the time we all dread the most. The time of year when the sun clocks out early and goes dark by 5 P.M.(Central.)

The time when possibilities are not endless anymore, you no longer have extra time to do work in the yard, and you expect that first morning chill. I know it will be ungodly hot until September and probably even until October, but just knowing that the day will already be shortening in a week is just too much today.

I see magic time already, and two days ago I happened to notice it, which reminded me of the solstice. I realize i get hung up on the finite nature of things when I should be seeing them cyclically. So, I guess today I'm trying to see the infinite, rather than the finite.

No comments: